Breast Cancer Now’s ‘Wear it Pink’ day, on October 19th, is one of the biggest fundraising events in the UK. This year, Medisave is proud to be supporting the event and will be raising money for the cause.
About “Wear it Pink”
Since 2002, Breast Cancer Now’s ‘Wear it Pink’ fundraising event has raised over £31.5 million for life-saving research. Research that is constantly working to discover how to prevent breast cancer, detect it earlier and how to treat it effectively at every stage, to prevent the disease taking lives.
The idea (of course) is to wear pink on October 19th with your colleagues, friends and/or family to help raise money for the charity. Putting together fun activities such as a quiz, raffle, or clothing sale, will get more people as possible involved and bolster the money raised.
- Pink-themed quiz – ‘Wear it Pink’ has very nicely put together a quiz question PDF which you can download from HERE. Ideal to play with your work colleagues, it includes picture rounds and anagram challenges.
- Pink treat cake sale – cupcakes are a must for a cake sale and you can go mad with the pink decoration! Ask you friends, family and work colleagues to get baking and hold a stall or bring them all into work to raise some money. Try thinking outside the box with what you bake to get people even more tempted to donate their money.
- A raffle – Would your company donate a few ‘grand prizes’ to make the tickets even more tempting? How does and extra day’s holiday sound? At the very least you can ask your colleagues to donate something worthwhile. A bottle of wine counts right?!
- School sports day – Ask the children to participate in a sports day event while wearing pink and let them have fun! The parent can be charged an ‘entry fee’ for donation, and there is always the possibility of having stalls on site with cakes and toys to purchase, with all proceeds going to the charity.
- Dare to do more – Choose a challenge that you aim to complete and ask for sponsors! How far would you go to save lives?
Signs & Symptoms of Breast Cancer
Some of the signs and symptoms of breast cancer include:
- A change in size or shape
- A lump or area that feels thicker than the rest of the breast
- A change in skin texture such as puckering or dimpling (like the skin of an orange)
- Redness or rash on the skin and/or around the nipple
- Your nipple has become pulled in or looks different, for example changed its position or shape
- Liquid that comes from the nipple without squeezing
- Pain in your breast or your armpit that’s there all or almost all of the time
- A swelling in your armpit or around your collarbone
Remember to check your breasts regularly!
Fundraising at Medisave
At Medisave we’re going to be doing all kinds of activities to raise money throughout the month. We have quizzes, cake sales and a pink fancy dress day planned. We have also set up a separate page for our ‘pink’ October deals with discounted products; with the idea being you could donate the difference to ‘Wear it Pink’.
If you would like to donate to Breast Cancer Now’s ‘Wear it Pink’ you can do so HERE.